Before founding ÁLVAREZ LEGAL, Yolanda Álvarez was the Vice-Chair of the Litigation Department and Chair of the Copyrights and Entertainment Divisions of a medium size law firm. She is an accomplished intellectual property attorney and litigator. She has successfully represented clients in complex litigation matters, including multinational corporations in local and federal courts. In addition, she has experience representing individuals and companies in Intellectual Property matters, including award-winning artists, producers, directors, songwriters, and music publishers, distributors, record companies, as well as film and television production companies. She also structures, negotiates, drafts intellectual property agreements-licenses for different media.
Her main areas of practice are Intellectual Property (Trademark and Copyrights) & Entertainment, Commercial Litigation, and Animal Law. Ms. Álvarez’s ample work experience includes roles as Communications Director for the University of Puerto Rico, Public Relations Advisor of several multinational and local companies, Journalist and Chief Editor of major publications. She has worked in the areas of communications, education, entertainment, sports and public affairs.
Ms. Álvarez is also an adjunct professor at the University of Puerto Rico School of Law, and has been a speaker at various local and national conferences.
She has been actively involved in non-profit organizations such as the Special Olympics and the Film Foundation of Puerto Rico, of which she is a member of the Board of Directors. She has also been recognized for her efforts towards the wellbeing of animals in Puerto Rico, including her involvement in the drafting of the Animal Anti-cruelty Act, Act 154 of August 4, 2008, one of the most progressive legislation towards animal protection in the world.
She is actively involved in the American Bar Association where she served as the Chair of the Intellectual Property Law Committee (2010-2013) within the Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (“TIPS”). She is currently a Vice Chair of aforementioned committee and the Chair of International Issues of the Animal Law Committee.
- University of Puerto Rico, Ph.D. Candidate
- University of Puerto Rico, School of Law, J.D.
- UPR, M.A. Public Administration
- UPR, B.A. Public Communications
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico
- United States Supreme Court
- Certified Mediator by the Puerto Rico Supreme Court Alternate Dispute Resolution Methods Bureau
CHAMBERS LATIN AMERICA
- Ranked in 2012-2015
“Yolanda Alvarez of Alvarez Legal wins acclaim for her dedication to the client
and deep knowledge and experience within IP. She is dynamic and has a skillful
command of entertainment law and copyright”.
- Puerto Rico Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- American Bar Association (ABA)
Section of Litigation, Intellectual Property Section
Forum of the Entertainment & Sports IndustryTort
Trial & Insurance Practice Section
RECENT SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- American Bar Association Annual Meeting – “Law and the States of the Art”
- Puerto Rico International Music Business Conference – “Music Law”
- Cinefiesta (International Short Film Festival) – “Intellectual Property & the
- Judicial Academy- “Animal Law”
- EXPO-Louisiana – “How to Approach the Government”
- Founder -Animal Law Committee – Puerto Rico Bar Association
- Chair IP Committee – TIPS – American Bar Association- 2011-2013
- Chair International Issues – Animal Law Committee – TIPS
- HSUS Puerto Rico Director